New Site!

Hello Friends! Follow this link to my newest site! JLopezArt

2.22.2011

Why Home Haircolor is Not the Best Idea

This morning I saw a video clip on a local newscast highlighting the great strides in home haircolor. The piece intended to persuade viewers that purchasing and using these over-the-counter haircolors is now easier than ever before.

Let me just say, UGH!

I am glad I got that off my chest. Some may not understand my frustration, but if you are a client of mine, you know how I feel about over-the-counter haircolor. I've  written about Hair Color Disasters in the past. Advertisers often embellish the truth. Applying haircolor is not as easy as it looks.

There is so much to know prior to coloring hair. Hairstylists go to beauty school to learn the chemistry and application techniques necessary for successful color application. We learn what happens when color overlaps color and how ammonia affects the hair. We learn what colors appear in the hair as hair lightens. We learn that not all hair can be a beautiful platinum blonde. (not healthy blonde, anyway) We actually learn a whole lot more. Take a look at this list of terms below. Are they familiar to you?

  • Developer 
  • Peroxide
  • Base Color
  • Level Systems
  • Undertones
  • Bands
  • Ammonia

If any of these terms seems unfamiliar to you, you may want to find out what they mean before attempting to color your own hair. If you hate brassy hair, you may not want to apply your own color. Creating unwanted orange in the hair is one of the most common mistakes.

Just because home haircolor companies have changed the formula and made application easier, doesn't mean the laws of color have changed. Brass still happens. Breakage happens, too.

My advice is that applying your own color at home is not a good idea.  There are just too many variables. When you color your hair, you are dealing with a chemical, after all. Why take unnecessary risks? Sometimes what we don't know can actually hurt us.

Questions? Haircolor stories? Please comment below and share. I would love to answer your questions about home haircolor.

No comments:

Post a Comment